Where is Merida, Mexico, located, and why is it a popular tourist destination? Find here answers to these questions and fun facts about Merida.
Merida is a city in the northwestern part of the Mexican state of Yucatan. It is located within the Yucatan Peninsula. Merida, Mexico, is the largest city, both in the state and in the peninsula.
Manuel Crescencio Rejon International Airport (MID) is the nearest airport in Merida Mexico. It is formerly known as Merida-Rejon Airport.
Merida, Mexico’s exact location is 20.98 latitude and -89.62 longitude.
Read also: Best things to do in Merida
- Distance to Other Major Destinations:
- Where is Merida Mexico on the Map
- How to get to Merida
- How to get from Cancun to Merida
- Merida Fun Facts
- Frequently Asked Questions about Merida Mexico
Distance to Other Major Destinations:
|Distance||Estimated travel time by car|
|Merida to Cancun||192 miles or 309 kilometers||About 3 hours and 28 minutes|
|Merida to Playa del Carmen||180 miles or 290 kilometers||About 3 hours and 13 minutes|
|Merida to Tulum||168 miles or 270 kilometers||About 3 hours and 30 minutes|
|Merida to Cozumel||243 miles or 391 kilometers||About 5 hours|
Where is Merida Mexico on the Map
How to get to Merida
Merida Fun Facts
1. Merida Mexico was founded in 1542 by the Spaniard Francisco de Montejo. The city was built on top of the Mayan City of T’Ho.
2. The nickname for Merida Mexico is “La Ciudad Blanca” or “The White City.” Some people say it’s because many of the buildings there were made of white limestone. Others would say it’s because Merida excels when it comes to cleanliness.
3. The name Merida is not unique to Mexico. It shares the same moniker to cities in the Philippines, Spain, and Venezuela. All of them were named after the Spanish town of Merida, located in the Extremadura region of Spain.
4. Merida, Mexico, was once one of the richest cities in the world. It was all thanks to the abundance of the henequen plant in the area. The hard fiber cultivated from this plant is used to make twine and rope.
5. Thinkers credit the geographical isolation of Merida, Mexico, for the rich culture it has until today. In fact, it was awarded as the American Capital of Culture in 2017.
Frequently Asked Questions about Merida Mexico
Is Merida Mexico safe?
Yes, Merida is considered one of the safest places in Mexico. The level of safety in this city is even often regarded as among the highest in the continent. Entrepreneur ranks Merida as the safest city in Mexico to live in.
Does Merida Mexico have a beach?
There are no Merida beaches because the city is located inland. However, there are plenty of nearby beaches which are a short drive away from the city.
How far is Merida, Mexico, from the beach?
The nearest beach to go to when coming from Merida, Mexico, is Progreso (43 kilometers.) This beach is about 40 minutes away from town. Other nearby beaches are the quiet Celestun (104 kilometers,) the upscale Chicxulub Puerto (44 kilometers,) and the small beach village of San Crisanto (77 kilometers.)
What is Merida Mexico known for?
Merida Mexico is known for its culture, which is a rich mix of Mayan and colonial influence. You can see it from the sacred temples, ancient ruins, natural wonders, and art centers that can be found here.
Location Map of Mexican Cities