Curious about Puerto Vallarta? Where is Puerto Vallarta Mexico located and why is it so popular among visitors? Read on to learn more about facts pertaining to the location of Puerto Vallarta.
Puerto Vallarta or simply Vallarta is a beach town located along Bahia de Banderas or Banderas Bay. It lies at the foot of the Sierra Madre Mountain Range.
Puerto Vallarta belongs to the Mexican state of Jalisco.
Licenciado Gustavo Díaz Ordaz International Airport or simply Puerto Vallarta Ordaz Airport (PVR) is the nearest airport in Puerto Vallarta.
Puerto Vallarta Mexico’s exact location is 20.62 latitude and -105.23 longitude.
- Distance to Other Major Destinations:
- Where is Puerto Vallarta Mexico on the Map
- Puerto Vallarta Fun Facts
- Frequently Asked Questions about Puerto Vallarta Mexico
Distance to Other Major Destinations:
|Distance||Estimated travel time by car|
|Puerto Vallarta to Mexico City||546 miles or 879 kilometers||About ten hours and 50 minutes|
|Puerto Vallarta to Cancun||1534 miles or 2469 kilometers||About 29 hours|
|Puerto Vallarta to Guadalajara||205 miles or 330 kilometers||About four hours and 40 minutes|
|Puerto Vallarta to San Pancho||44 miles or 27 kilometers||About 50 minutes|
Where is Puerto Vallarta Mexico on the Map
Puerto Vallarta Fun Facts
1. The original name of Puerto Vallarta Mexico was Las Peñas de Santa María de Guadalupe, named after the founder of the place, Guadalupe Sánchez. However, in 1918, Puerto Vallarta was renamed as such after Don Ignacio Luis Vallarta, former Governor of Jalisco.
2. The port of Puerto Vallarta is on Bahia de Banderas (in english: Bay of Flags.) The bay is in the shape of a horseshoe and has 55 miles or 80 kilometers of shoreline. With an area of 773.3 sq km, it is the third-largest bay in Mexico. Bahia de Banderas is well-known for being a breeding and birthing ground for humpback whales.
3. Puerto Vallarta Mexico is bounded by the biodiverse Sierra Madre Occidental Mountain Range. It is home to rich flora and fauna and is a popular destination for those seeking nature-inclined adventures.
4. Puerto Vallarta Mexico was a simple fishing town in the 19th century. It also exported bananas, corn, beans, and coconuts to the United States. As time progressed, Puerto Vallarta became a booming tourist destination as more and more people got to discover its stunning beaches, beautiful resorts, and fun activities.
5. The state of Jalisco where Puerto Vallarta belongs is considered the capital of Mariachi music. You can find numerous Mariachi bands in Puerto Vallarta. Some may offer to play for you along the beach while others are stapled performers in events and restaurants.
Frequently Asked Questions about Puerto Vallarta Mexico
What side of Mexico is Puerto Vallarta?
Puerto Vallarta is on the west-central Pacific Ocean side of Mexico.
Is it safe to go to Puerto Vallarta Mexico?
Yes, it is safe to go to Puerto Vallarta Mexico. It is actually a popular place for ex-pats to establish their new homes, so this says much about the community and the living conditions in the area. Of course, just like in any tourist destination, exercise caution and common sense at all times.
Is Puerto Vallarta part of the United States?
No, Puerto Vallarta is not part of the United States. It is part of the State of Jalisco in Mexico.
Why is Puerto Vallarta so popular?
Many of the best things to do in Puerto Vallarta Mexico will have you enjoying the beach and doing fun outdoor sports. This is because Puerto Vallarta is overflowing with picturesque waters and lush jungles – among others – and wrap all that with pleasant tropical weather and you have yourself a true definition of a travel destination popular to rest and adventure seekers.
What is the best month to go to Puerto Vallarta?
The best months to go to Puerto Vallarta Mexico are April and June. These are when you’ll find a good combination of off-season rates, great weather, and fewer crowds. However, if you are going to visit Puerto Vallarta to witness the migration of the humpback whales, come by February or March.
Location Map of Mexican Cities
Where is Acapulco
Where is Tijuana
Where is Monterrey