Learn where is Monterrey Mexico located and get useful information about its location including fun facts and frequently asked questions about the city of Monterrey.
Monterrey is the city capital of the Mexican State of Nuevo León. It is the country’s third-biggest metropolitan-based on area and population.
Monterrey Mexico lies next to the Sierra Madre Oriental. It is divided from west to east by the Rio Santa Catarina.
The Monterrey General Mariano Escobedo International Airport (MTY) and the Del Norte International Airport (NTR) are the nearest airports in Monterrey Mexico.
Monterrey Mexico’s exact location is 25.69 latitude and -100.32 longitude.
- Distance to Other Major Destinations:
- Where is Monterrey Mexico on the Map
- Monterrey Fun Facts
- Frequently Asked Questions about Monterrey Mexico
Distance to Other Major Destinations:
|Distance||Estimated travel time by car|
|Monterrey to Mexico City||568 miles or 914 kilometers||About nine hours and 40 minutes|
|Monterrey to Puerto Vallarta||695 miles or 1,119 kilometers||About 13 hours and 30 minutes|
|Monterrey to San Pancho||668 miles or 1,075 kilometers||About twelve hours and 30 minutes|
|Monterrey to Cancun||1,424 miles or 2,291 kilometers||About 28 hours|
Where is Monterrey Mexico on the Map
Monterrey Fun Facts
1. The first inhabitants of Monterrey Mexico are a semi-nomadic group known as the Chichimecas. Left on the walls are intricate cave paintings and petroglyphs that are now historical and artistic spots to see when you visit Monterrey.
2. Residents of Monterrey Mexico are called Regios or Regiomontanos. The word translates to ‘of the king, of the kingdom or of the royalty.’
3. The name Monterrey means King of the Mountains in English. The city is named as such because it is visibly surrounded by towering mountains belonging to five different mountain ranges. This type of surrounding makes for a great playground for extreme and outdoor sports enthusiasts.
4. Anywhere in the city, you can see the majestic El Cerro de la Silla. The mountain is situated in the nearby city of Guadalupe. It is distinctively shaped like a horse saddle (hence the name ‘silla’ which means chair) and is regarded as an iconic symbol of Monterrey Mexico. Tourists are encouraged to hike up the mountain trails of El Cerro de la Silla when paying a visit to the city.
5. Monterrey Mexico is home to the Cola de Caballo waterfalls, the highest place in the country where you can bungee jump – at 70 meters, to be specific. Cola de Caballo, which translates to ‘horse tail’ in English, has a height of 27 meters or 89 feet. It is located within Parque Nacional Cumbres de Monterrey.
Frequently Asked Questions about Monterrey Mexico
Where in Mexico is Monterrey located?
Monterrey is located northeast of Mexico. It lies about 910 kilometers north of Mexico City. Other Mexican cities near Monterey include Guadalupe (3.7 miles or 6 kilometers away) and Saltillo (46 miles or 74 kilometers away.)
What US city is closest to Monterrey Mexico?
The closest US city to Monterrey Mexico is San Antonio Texas. Due to its close proximity to US cities, many residents do their regular shopping there.
Is Monterrey Mexico close to Texas?
Yes, Monterrey Mexico is close to Texas. It is closest to the cities of San Antonio, Austin, Houston, Fort Worth and Dallas.
How far is Monterrey Mexico from the ocean?
Monterrey Mexico is more than 186 miles or 300 kilometers away from the ocean. The nearest beach from Monterrey would have to be Heroica Matamoros which is 199 miles or 320 kilometers away. Other nearby beaches include La Pesca Beach (270 miles or 435 kilometers away) and Tampico (316 miles or 508 kilometers away.)
Is it safe to travel to Monterrey Mexico?
It is generally safe to travel to Monterrey Mexico, while still keeping in mind that the US Department of State Overseas Security Advisory Council has placed Mexico at Level 2 which means increased caution must be made due to crimes in the area. When travelling to Monterrey, exercise common sense, always safeguard your belongings and practice prudence.
Location Map of Mexican Cities
Where is Acapulco
Where is Tijuana
Where is Monterrey