Where is Oaxaca, Mexico, located, and why is it worth visiting? Time to answer these questions and learn some useful information regarding the location of Oaxaca, Mexico.
Oaxaca is a city located in the Mexican state of Oaxaca. Its full name is Oaxaca de Juárez after former president Benito Juárez. On the map, you can find Oaxaca on the southern side of Mexico along the Oaxaca Valley.
Oaxaca Xoxocotlan Airport (or simply Oaxaca Airport) is the nearest airport in Oaxaca, Mexico.
Oaxaca, Mexico’s exact location is 17.07 latitude and -96.72 longitude.
Distance to Other Major Destinations:
|Distance||Estimated travel time by car|
|Oaxaca to Mexico City||289 miles or 465 kilometers||About five hours and 50 minutes|
|Oaxaca to Merida||714 miles or xx1149 kilometers||About 14 hours and 23 minutes|
|Oaxaca to Tulum||999 miles or 1608 kilometers||About 20 hours and 53 minutes|
|Oaxaca to Cancun||909 miles or 1463 kilometers||About 18 hours and 50 minutes|
Where is Oaxaca Mexico on the Map
Oaxaca Fun Facts
1. The name of the state of Oaxaca comes from its city capital. Oaxaca comes from the Nahuatl “Huaxyacac,” which means “on the top of the guaje,” referring to the guaje tree. This type of tree is common in the area.
2. The nickname for the state of Oaxaca is “The Land of the Seven Moles.” Mole pertains to a type of thick sauce that is considered Mexico’s national dish. The seven moles of Oaxaca are negro, rojo, coloradito, amarillo, verde, chichilo and manchamantel.
3. Oaxaca, Mexico, has 5,800 miles of coastline. Its share of the Pacific Ocean makes it one of the best spots for surfing. In fact, an international surf competition called The Surf Open League is held in Oaxaca every year.
4. Oaxaca is surrounded by the Sierra Madre de Oaxaca, which is an extensive mountain range. It is where you’ll find the tallest peak in Mexico, Pico de Orizaba.
5. Oaxaca is home to the world-famous Mezcal. The word Mezcal translates to “oven-cooked agave” which is exactly how this alcoholic beverage is made. In Oaxaca, Mexico, it is regular to find residents enjoying a bottle of Mezcal every night after dinner.
Frequently Asked Questions about Oaxaca Mexico
Where in Mexico is Oaxaca located?
The state of Oaxaca is located in southern Mexico. To the north, you have the Mexican states of Puebla and Veracruz. To the east, you have the state of Chiapas, and to the west, Guerrero. To the south, it is bounded by the Pacific Ocean. Its capital city bearing the same name, lies in Oaxaca Valley.
What is Oaxaca City known for?
Oaxaca City is known for having great authentic Mexican food. In fact, it is widely regarded as the gastronomical capital of Mexico. In Oaxaca, you can sample some of the best cheeses, chocolates, herbs, and meats. Daring to try something different? One of Oaxaca’s delicacies includes grasshoppers!
Is Oaxaca Mexico safe for tourists?
Oaxaca, Mexico, is one of the safest states to visit for tourists. While, in truth, Mexico does have a reputation for having high crime rates, Oaxaca remains to be a safe destination for visitors to explore. Of course, common sense must still be practiced, especially when out at night or in crowded places.
What language is spoken in Oaxaca?
Mexican Spanish is a language that is widely spoken in Oaxaca. Given the state’s ethnic diversity, 16 indigenous Oaxaca languages are utilized by the different communities here. Under each indigenous language, there are many more dialectal variants that differentiate one from another.
Is Oaxaca City worth visiting?
Yes, Oaxaca City is worth visiting! Traveling foodies will find the place to be a true food lovers’ paradise, while culture enthusiasts will definitely have a full itinerary waiting for them. The capital city offers a bit of every good thing that this Mexican state has to offer!
Location Map of Mexican Cities