Do you want to know where is Cancun, Mexico located? Check out the Cancun Mexico map as well as fun facts and frequently asked questions about Cancun.
Cancun is located in the southeastern part of Mexico, in the northeast of the Yucatán Peninsula.
Cancun belongs to the state of Quintana Roo and is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Mexico.
Cancun Mexico’s exact location is latitude 21.17429 and longitude -86.84656.
- Distance from Cancun to other major destinations:
- Where is Cancun Mexico on the Map
- Cancun Fun Facts
- How to travel from Cancun to other popular Mexican destinations
- How to get from Cancun to Tulum
- How to get from Cancun to Merida
- How to get from Cancun to Cozumel
- Frequently Asked Questions about Cancun
Distance from Cancun to other major destinations:
|Distance||Estimated travel time by car|
|Cancun to Tulum||81 miles or 131 kilometers||About 1 hour and 43 minutes|
|Cancun to Playa del Carmen||42 miles or 68 kilometers||About 58 minutes|
|Cancun to Mérida||199 miles or 320 kilometers||About 4 hours and 40 minutes|
|Cancun to Chetumal||236 miles or 379 kilometers||About 4 hours and 43 minutes|
Where is Cancun Mexico on the Map
Cancun Fun Facts
1. In 1970 only three people lived in Cancun. Nowadays, it is one of the most popular tourist destination in Mexico and home to more than 700,000 residents.
2. Cancun features an underwater museum with a series of 500 life.size underwater statues.
3. Cancun was originally called “Ekab” which means “Black Earth”. The name Cancun is also a mayan word and means “nest of serpents”.
4. The beaches of Cancun are only 14 Miles long.
5. The Maya Barrier Reef in Cancun is the second largest reef in the world. The world’s largest reef is the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.
6. There are around 32.000 hotel rooms in Cancun. From luxury Cancun beach resorts, to family resorts, to budget hotels in downtown, there is accommodation for all types of travelers.
How to travel from Cancun to other popular Mexican destinations
Frequently Asked Questions about Cancun
Is Cancun north or south of the equator?
Cancun is 1,462 miles (around 2,352 kilometres) north of the equator and thus located north of the equator.
How much is a taxi from Cancun airport to hotel zone?
The average price for a taxi from Cancun airport to the hotel zone is 50 to 60 USD.
This post is also available in: Spanish