Wondering where is Tijuana, Mexico, located? Get useful information regarding the city, including its distance from major destinations and Tijuana fun facts.
Tijuana is situated northwest of the Mexican state of Baja, California. It is right at the border between California, USA, and Baja, California, Mexico. The city lies along the Tecate Creek near the North Pacific Ocean.
Tijuana is the westernmost city in Mexico. It is also the largest in the Baja California peninsula.
Tijuana International Airport (TIJ) or the General Abelardo L. Rodríguez International Airport is the nearest airport in Tijuana Mexico.
Tijuana, Mexico’s exact location is 32.52 latitude and -117.05 longitude.
Distance to Other Major Destinations:
|Distance||Estimated travel time by car|
|Tijuana to Mexico City||1,727 miles or 2,779 kilometers||About 31 hours|
|Tijuana to Puerto Vallarta||1,361 miles or 2,190 kilometers||About 25 hours|
|Tijuana to Cancun||2,714 miles or 4,368 kilometers||About 49 hours|
|Tijuana to San Pancho||1,333 miles or 2,145 kilometers||About 24 hours|
Where is Tijuana Mexico on the Map
Tijuana Fun Facts
1. A resident of Tijuana, Mexico, is called a Tijuanense or Tijuanero.
2. Tijuana Mexico is also called T.J. for short. Old documents show that the place was once called La Tía Juana, Tiguana, Tiwana, and other variations. Tijuana is said to have come from the Kumeyaay word “tiwan” which means “by the sea” in English.
3. The San Ysidro Port of Entry in Tijuana, Mexico, is regarded as the busiest crossing in the world. The San Diego-Tijuana international border, spanning 1,979 miles or 3,185 kilometers, serves more than 50 million people yearly. The two places are a short day trip away from each other.
4. Tijuana earned the nickname “Gateway to Mexico.” It is also called “A Heart Between Two Seas” and “The Most visited city in the world.” All of these give regard to the fact that the world’s busiest border crossing is found here.
5. Caesar salad was born in Tijuana, Mexico! An American Italian restaurateur named Caesar Cardini created the legendary dish in 1924 at the Caesar Hotel and Restaurant. Did you know: the original recipe does not contain anchovies.
Frequently Asked Questions about Tijuana Mexico
Is Tijuana in Mexico or the USA?
The city of Tijuana is in Mexico. It is in the northwestern side of the country, and it belongs to the Mexican state of Baja California.
What US city is closest to Tijuana?
San Diego, California, is the closest US city to Tijuana, Mexico. Tijuana is 20 miles or 32 kilometers away from San Diego. Other US cities that are close to Tijuana include Los Angeles (127 miles or 204 kilometers,) Las Vegas (270 miles or 435 kilometers), and Phoenix (295 miles or 475 kilometers.)
Is Tijuana safe?
Tijuana has long been regarded as unsafe. In fact, it is ranked as the murder capital of Mexico in 2018, with 138 homicides per 100,000 out of a population of 1,909,424. This can be downplayed, even though specific areas in the city are deemed safe to stay in. Street crime and violent crime are prevalent in Tijuana, and its extremely high murder rate alone says much about the unsafe state of the area in general.
How far is it from San Diego to Tijuana?
Tijuana is 20 miles or 32 kilometers away from San Diego via I-5 S. You can cross San Diego to Tijuana by car, trolley and pedestrian bridge, or bus. While the two destinations are conveniently near each other, waiting time to cross the border may go for hours.
Why is Tijuana so popular?
Tijuana, Mexico, is popular for both good and bad reasons. It is known for its rich culture, dining, and urban art scene. However, it is infamous for being one of the most dangerous cities in Mexico and the whole world.
Location Map of Mexican Cities