You can get from Cancun to Merida by ADO Bus, private transfer, rental car, taxi, or Uber.
The cheapest option to travel from Cancun to Merida is by ADO Bus, which costs only USD 35. The journey takes around 4.5 hours.
The most popular option is also the ADO Bus since it is the most convenient.
The fastest way to travel to Merida from Cancun is by private transfer or taxi/Uber. Traveling by car is the quickest alternative, and prices for these options start at around USD 250.
Traveling through Mexico has equipped me with invaluable insights, so rest assured, I’m here to offer you a detailed guide on all the best travel options, ensuring your trip through this enchanting country is seamless and secure!
Transportation Options from Cancun to Merida
The following table outlines all transportation options from Cancun downtown to Merida:
|ADO Bus from Cancun to Merida||~4 hrs||$35-59|
|Cancun to Merida Private Transfer||4 hrs||$292|
|Taxi from Cancun to Tulum||4 hrs||–|
|Uber from Cancun to Tulum||4 hrs||$250|
|Rental Car||4 hrs||–|
How far is Merida from Cancun?
The distance from Cancun to Merida is about 320 kilometers or 199 miles by car.
Getting to Merida from Cancun
1. Our recommendation: ADO Bus from Cancun to Merida, Mexico
Journey Duration: ~4 hours 45 minutes
One of the best, wallet-friendly ways to make the trip from Cancun to Merida is by hopping on an ADO Coach Bus!
ADO is the leading bus company in Mexico that offers excellent service at affordable prices, so it’s always my number-one choice!
They offer a fleet of standard coach buses with commendable service, ensuring comfort throughout your journey.
With ticket prices starting at a mere 35 USD, these buses provide an economical and convenient travel alternative between Cancun and Merida.
However, keep in mind that the price can vary and cost up to USD 59, depending on your departure time.
This is a popular travel route; therefore, ADO Bus offers twenty daily connections between Cancun and Merida!
Their schedule is quite accommodating, as ADO proffers numerous departures daily, offering flexibility to choose a time slot that best suits your travel plans!
The buses depart from Cancun’s ADO bus station and arrive at the Central Bus Station ADO terminal in Merida.
Your journey can span from 3.5 hours to slightly longer than 4 hours, depending on the number of stops.
To secure a seat and ensure your trip from Cancun to Merida, we recommend checking out the schedules and booking your tickets online!
Cancun to Merida ADO Bus Schedule:
The table below displays the ADO bus timetable for trips from Cancun to Merida, detailing departure times, journey lengths, and fares.
Bus from Cancun Airport to Merida:
There are also daily ADO bus connections from Cancun Airport to Merida without stopping at Cancun town.
2. Private Transfer from Cancun to Merida
Journey Duration: 4 hours
If you are traveling in a group and want to be more flexible regarding the departure time, a private transfer may be the best option!
WAYAK, a Mexican company already 13 years in business, offers private transfers for up to four passengers for about USD 380.
3. Driving from Cancun to Merida with a Rental Car
Journey Duration: 4 hours
A rental car is an excellent option to travel independently to Merida. The travel distance is about 320 kilometers or 199 miles, and the Cancun to Merida drive takes around four and a half hours.
If you’re planning to drive from Cancun to Merida with a rental car, here’s some information to help you on your journey:
- Distance and Route: The distance between Cancun and Merida is approximately 320 kilometers (200 miles) via the most common route. You’ll primarily use the Federal Highway 180 (Carretera Federal 180) for this journey.
- Driving Time: The drive typically takes 3.5 to 4.5 hours, depending on traffic and road conditions. It’s a relatively straightforward and well-maintained route.
- Rental Car: You can rent a car at Cancun International Airport or Cancun. Many rental agencies have offices at the airport for convenience. Book your rental car in advance to secure the type of vehicle you prefer.
- Road Conditions: The highway between Cancun and Merida is generally in good condition. However, be cautious of occasional speed bumps (topes) and other traffic control measures, especially when passing through smaller towns.
- Fuel: Gas stations are readily available along the route. Filling up your tank before leaving Cancun is an excellent idea to ensure you have enough fuel for the journey.
- Tolls: There are toll booths along the highway, so be prepared to pay tolls. Make sure to carry some local currency (Mexican pesos), as tolls are usually not payable by credit card.
- Safety: While the drive is relatively safe, following traffic rules and driving cautiously is essential, especially if you’re unfamiliar with Mexican road conditions. Avoid driving at night if possible.
- Navigation: GPS or a navigation app on your smartphone can be beneficial for staying on the correct route and finding your way around Merida once you arrive.
- Insurance: Ensure that your rental car has adequate insurance coverage. It’s also a good idea to check if your personal insurance or credit card offers coverage for rental cars.
- Local Regulations: Familiarize yourself with Mexican traffic laws and regulations before driving, such as speed limits and seat belt requirements.
- Scenic Stops: There are several exciting places to stop along the way, such as the city of Valladolid or the ancient Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza. Plan your stops if you want to explore these attractions.
Remember that road conditions and regulations may change, so it’s advisable to check for updates before your trip.
4. Uber or Taxi from Cancun to Merida
Journey Duration: 4 hours
Uber is available in Mexico, and a trip from Cancun to Merida costs around 5.200 Mexican Pesos (about USD 250) outside peak times.
Note, however, that the price can increase drastically due to traffic.
5. Cancun to Merida Flights
There are currently no direct flights offered between Cancun and Merida. All connections have a stopover in Mexico City, which makes this travel option uninteresting.
Best day tours in Merida, Mexico
Get Your Guide helps you find the best tours wherever you are heading. It’s usually the first website I check when I plan a trip to a new place.
Here, you can find some of the best tours in Merida, Mexico.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cheapest way to get from Cancun to Merida?
The cheapest way to get from Cancun to Merida is by ADO Bus. The cheapest tickets for this bus cost only $35!
What is the fastest way to get from Cancun to Merida?
The fastest way to get from Cancun to Merida is by car. Traveling by car takes about 4 hours, and you can choose between a private transfer, rental car, taxi, or Uber.
What is the distance from Cancun Airport to Merida?
The distance from Cancun Airport to Merida is 328 kilometers (or 203 miles). It takes around five hours by car.
How much is the bus from Cancun to Merida?
You can purchase your ADO bus ticket from Cancun to Merida online on GuateGo for USD 41.
How far is Merida from the beach?
Progreso is the closest beach to Mérida, around 43 kilometers (or 27 miles) from Merida. It takes about 40 minutes to get there by car.
How do I get from Cancun airport to Merida?
There are several options to get from Cancun airport to Merida. Taking an ADO bus will be your best option if you travel on a budget. Otherwise, you can also book a private transfer or take a taxi or Uber.