Where is New York City? What is with the nickname Big Apple? Read more about the New York City location, along with some fun facts.
New York City is located on the southeastern side of New York State.
It belongs to the country of the United States of America.
Universal Traveller recommends the following websites to plan & book your trip
- Book your car rental through RentalCars
- Get Your Guide helps you find the best tours wherever you are heading to.
- Don’t forget about travel insurance for your trip!
New York City’s exact location is 40.71 latitude and -74.01 longitude.
NYC is among the best places to visit in the USA. If you’re planning to take a trip here soon, make sure to check out all the best things to do in New York before you go.
- Distance to other major destinations:
- Where is New York on the Map
- New York Fun Facts
- Frequently Asked Questions about Where is New York City
Distance to other major destinations:
New York to Washington DC: 204 miles or 329 kilometers
New York to Chicago: 713 miles or 1147 kilometers
New York to Atlanta: 746 miles or 1200 kilometers
New York to Orlando: 938 miles or 1509 kilometers
New York to New Orleans: 1169 miles or 1881 kilometers
Where is New York on the Map
New York Fun Facts
1. The New York location is a prime location. It is a preferred gateway to the North American continent.
3. The first capital city of the United States of America is actually New York City.
4. The Big Apple is the widely-used nickname for NYC.
5. The famous Statue of Liberty in New York is actually a gift from France to the city.
6. It is said that about 800 different languages are spoken in New York City.
7. New York is the city with the most population in the United States. Women outnumber men in NYC.
8. New York City’s huge population is composed of hundreds of thousands of millionaires and billionaires.
9. There are far too many New Yorkers who have become prominent personalities in different fields. To name some, they are Michael Jordan, Theodore Roosevelt, and Anne Hathaway.
10. Honking your horn in the streets of New York City is actually illegal.
11. 10118 – this is the Empire State Building’s own zip code.
12. The Federal Reserve Bank in New York City houses the world’s biggest gold reserve.
13. New York pizza is said to be the best pizza in the world.
14. The New York City Library is the world’s third-largest library.
Frequently Asked Questions about Where is New York City
Protect your trip: With all our travel experience, we highly recommend you hit the road with travel insurance. SafetyWing offers flexible & reliable Digital Nomads Travel Medical Insurance at just a third of the price of similar competitor plans.
Which state does New York City belong to?
New York City belongs to the state of New York, USA.
What is the difference between New York and New York City?
While both share the same name, New York is a city made up of five boroughs, namely Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, and the Bronx. New York State is the American state where New York City and all its boroughs belong to.
Is New York City the same as Manhattan?
Manhattan is one of the five boroughs that make up New York. Technically, Manhattan IS New York, and the rest of the four boroughs are Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, and the Bronx.
What is the old name of New York?
New York State was once called New Netherland, while New York City was called New Amsterdam. The names were changed in honor of the Duke of York after England took over.
Why is New York called the Big Apple?
The term Big Apple is derived from horse racing. In the 1920s, it was what they call the prizes at racing courses in New York City. It was only until 1971 that New York City was officially nicknamed the Big Apple to attract visitors.
Is it safe to visit New York?
It is generally safe to visit New York City. However, there are neighborhoods within the city that are not really recommended for tourists to visit. Before you go to a place, it is great to check NYC’s interactive crime map to check whether the area is a hotspot for crimes.