Malaga Spain is well known for its endless sunshine, historic museums, and stunning beaches. Where is Malaga – and is it worth visiting?
Malaga is located on the Mediterranean coastline in the southern part of Spain. The city belongs to the region of Andalucía.
Malaga is one of the six counties that comprise the province with the same name. The other five are the Antequera Region, Axarquía, Costa del Sol, Valle del Guadalhorce and Serranía de Ronda.
Malaga’s exact location is 36° 43′ 12.58″ N latitude and -4° 25′ 13.22″ W longitude.
- Distance to other major destinations in Spain:
- Where is Malaga Spain on the Map
- Malaga Fun Facts
- Frequently Asked Questions about Malaga
Distance to other major destinations in Spain:
Malaga to Granada: 83 miles or 133 kilometers
Malaga to Madrid: 334 miles or 538 kilometers
Malaga to Sevilla: 133 miles or 214 kilometers
Malaga to Cordoba: 105 miles or 169 kilometers
Malaga to Valencia: 408 miles or 656 kilometers
Where is Malaga Spain on the Map
Malaga Fun Facts
1. Malaga’s original name is “Malaka” which means “factory”.
2. Pablo Picasso is the most famous person who was born in Malaga.
3. Malaga has on average only 50 rain days per year. Most parts of the year the sun is shining.
4. Malaga is the southernmost big European city.
5. Malaga has the third largest airport in Spain. Only the airports in Madrid and Barcelona are bigger.
6. A person born in Malaga Spain is called a boqueron or boquerona. In Spanish language, boqueron means “anchovies” – something that Malaga Bay is famous for.
7. Residents of Malaga are regarded as malagueños.
8. Founded in 770 BC by Phoenicians, Malaga might just be one of the oldest cities in the whole world.
9. Malaga Spain is home to one of the world’s oldest wine regions. There are about 3,800 hectares of vineyards in the whole province.
10. Two of the most-visited Malaga attractions are the Alcazaba and the Gibralfaro which are remnants of the Moorish rule.
11. Calle Marqués de Larios is known to be the most expensive street to live or rent in Malaga.
Because of its regal beauty, many regard Calle Larios as one of the most elegant streets in Spain.
12. Aside from Pablo Picasso, another prominent personality who hails from Malaga is actor Antonio Banderas.
He starred in famous Hollywood films such as The Mask of Zorro and Shrek as the voice of the character Puss in Boots.
Frequently Asked Questions about Malaga
Which part of Spain is Malaga in?
Malaga is located in the province of Malaga, in the region of Andalusia in the southern part of Spain.
What is Malaga famous for?
Malaga is well-known for artist Pablo Picasso who was born in the city in 1881 and its beautiful old city and beaches.
Is Malaga Spain worth visiting?
Malaga is worth your visit when you come to Spain. Malaga is perfect for those who wish to explore a walkable, historic city. It is also meant for those who like extensive waterfronts and sunny days.
Is Malaga Spain safe for tourists?
Despite it being one of the largest cities in Spain, Malaga is safe for tourists in general. Of course, do ample research before your trip and keep out of places within the city that are deemed unsafe by residents and authorities themselves.
How many days do you need in Malaga?
A minimum of two days is recommended so that you can make the most out of your trip to Malaga Spain.
Is Malaga expensive?
The cost of a holiday in Malaga Spain is not expensive, especially compared to the other nearby tourist destinations. Many sights to see such as museums are free to visit. Food is reasonably-priced and generously-packaged.