Antigua is a small city surrounded by volcanoes in southern Guatemala and well known for its colonial buildings.
You can hike up to the cross “cerro de la cruz” and enjoy an incredible view on the city, make a tour to one of the volcanoes surrounding Antigua, go shopping on the Artisans Market or walk the famous street “Calle del Arco de Santa Catalina” and take a photo with the Arch.
Read here 17 Best things to do in Antigua, Guatemala.
1. Hike up to the cross “cerro de la cruz” and enjoy an incredible view on the city.
2. Get in touch with the locals on “plaza central”.
3. Taste the delicious Guatemalan food in one of the local restaurants.
4. Make a tour to one of the volcanoes surrounding Antigua.
5. Listen to the performance of local musicians.
6. Learn how to dance salsa in one of the salsa schools.
7. Go shopping on the Artisans Market.
8. Visit the church San Francisco and take photos in the ruins.
9. Did you know that Antigua has a nightlife? Start at Lava Bar, the perfect place for a drink at sunset, and go on to the other bars that are all close to “plaza central”.
10. Walk the famous street “Calle del Arco de Santa Catalina” and take a photo with the Arch.
11. Enjoy a carriage ride through Antigua.
12. Participate in a coffee tour and learn about the process of making coffee.
13. Visit the Convento de las Capuchinas (Capuchinas Convent).
14. Visit “La Merced” Church.
15. Walk along the streets, take photos and buy some souvenirs.
16. Visit some of Antigua’s small museums including a chocolate museum, a military museum and an old printing press and book museum.
17. Bargain on one of the Handicrafts Markets.
My Hotel recommendation for Antigua, Guatemala
I highly recommend you to stay at Posada del Angel Hotel. It is a unique accommodation in an old colonial building. The whole design and furniture fits perfectly to Antigua and integrates Antigua’s Maya and Spanish heritages. The hotel is located just a few blocks from the main square of Antigua on a calm cobblestone street. The area around the hotel is very safe and you can reach everything by walking.
Disclaimer: I was a guest at Posada del Angel, Antigua. My opinions, as always, are solely my own.